My roller derby team has chosen its colours (yay!), and we are getting ready to start playing games against other teams. In honor of this occasion (and because I really hate the pink ones we have now and I found a free pattern online), I decided to make new helmet covers. Helmet covers are large shower cap like things players put on their helmet to signal their position. There are three positions on a team and two of those require a helmet cover. The jammer (who scores the points) has a star on the helmet cover. The pivot (who is the only one eligible to become the jammer) has a stripe on the helmet cover.
The colours that were chosen were yellow and black. So I wanted to make covers in both colour combinations, and make two of each in order to have some spare. It took some time to find the lycra required. On the Rotterdam market I found the black lycra, no nice yellow in sight though. I didn’t want fluorescent yellow, but a more natural yellow. Only one shop sold that and I bought a meter.
I cut out the patterns, and I still have fabric left over for at least three more covers in each colour. Then I sewed them together using a zigzag stitch in black or yellow (which I still had in stash), depending on the base colour. Some elastic was added and hey presto, eight covers. Now we need to play and see if they work or if adjustments are needed. Exciting!