Sometimes you have these projects that are nearly done, so very nearly done, but not quite. This was one of them…
Back in the day (summer 2015), I’d just finished the Winter Sweater in Summer and had quickly cast on a kangaroo sweater with a similar yarn (here is my project). It was dutifully knit all the way to the top, adding some additional shaping here and there. I struggled with the collar a little but got it all worked out in the end. There were seven buttonholes, about a million ends to weave in and I just didn’t want to do it. I didn’t feel like it at all. Into the box it went, and it stayed. It came out occasionally only to go back in when all the hairiness from loose ends kept going on. Pure drama.
Cue the house move in December. With the project so close to completion I didn’t want to just throw it away. I also didn’t want to finish it just for the second hand store. I’d since figured out what my problem with it was; I chose the wrong pattern. I don’t do large collars very well, nor do I do semi-long length sweaters very well. I just wasn’t going to wear it, even if it was finished, hence the back burner. But, my brother’s girlfriend was coming to help with the move, and she is skinny, although quite a lot taller. I asked her if she would like it. If I only had a target to finish it for, I might even get it done, or so my thoughts were. We chose some buttons from the stash, which meant I had to close three button holes, but that was fine.
I realised a little while ago that the holiday which was my deadline was approaching quickly, so I sat down on a Saturday and Sunday to weave in all the ends, to put on the buttons, to finish the button holes and to just make it presentable. The project was finally completed, the relief was palpable. This is the project on the receiver, marking the end of a struggle!