Remember those green plaid pants I made recently? I’ve worn them quite a lot since finishing them and I really like them. There was only one problem.. all my sweaters seem to be red or contain red, not green. So, I did the obvious thing, I knit myself a matching sweater. I’d had the perfect green yarn in my stash for a while, which I’d knitted up into a hideous sweater before that I’d frogged. Yarn sorted, I needed a pattern.
The obvious place to look for patterns is Ravelry, so off I went on a quest for the perfect pattern. I found the Waiting for Spring pattern, and I liked the idea of a stripe of leaves along one side. However, the leaves on that pattern weren’t very nice, so off I went again looking for other leaves. Those were found in the Provence Baby Cardigan. I also didn’t like the neckline, so I substituted the Ginny shawl collar with some modifications. At the end of the knit, there was yarn left over and I like a warm butt, so I added the flap-bit of the Eyelet Yoke Sweater. I also changed the shaping of the sweater completely, so there’s nothing left over from the original pattern apart from the number of stitches I cast on. You might get the name frankenpattern now..
This is a close up of the leaves and below you can find the complete sweater. Please ignore the very interesting pose I made. The sun was out the morning after I’d finished it, but only if I squatted in a certain way did it show. You can sort of see the flap at the back and the neckline at the front. I made monkey length sleeves such that they had the space to shrink, which they did. I like it, it’s nice to wear, the holes from the leaves are not cold, so it’s even good in winter. This was an entertaining and useful project.
If you feel like knitting this entire thing, you can do so! I kept track of every stitch I did and noted down the entire pattern here. Next up will be owls…