No, I did not pluck a bird for this project. I did, however, purchase a fabric that I really really liked, but for which I originally couldn’t find a suitable garment pattern that would allow me to wear it often. The first time I saw it at the market stall, I really liked the print. Dark red fabric with an almost invisible secondary pattern and blue and yellow feathers all over it. I didn’t dare to buy it because I didn’t like it as a skirt or pants or a top. In the week that followed, I did think of a plan. That plan was to make a scarf, how I would do that was a secondary question, but I didn’t care about that. So the next week I bought the coupon.
I first had to decide whether to cut along the crossgrain or the selvedge. I chose the selvedge which make the scarf between 1.8-2.0 meters long. Then came the width, about 1/3 of the fabric would do, I thought. This was approximately 50 centimeters. I folded over the cut edges twice and sewed them. Leaving the selvedge untouched, because I really liked that edge. I turned out that the back of the fabric, which has some dye splotches, would then be visible sometimes. So then I attached the long edges together to form a long tube. That’s it. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
As it is turning into winter again, I hope this will come in handy. It might be a bit thicker than your average scarf, but I don’t mind (yet). Let’s see if I find any flaws during wear.