The 6th of June marked an interesting event in lives of quite a few people. The students at the school where I now work, experienced their Graduation. It was one of the first large events where I was working in my new capacity. The dress code was formal but festive for staff, so I of course wanted to make a dress!
You might wonder why I didn’t post this dress earlier. It was done for almost 2 months right? I’ll tell you. I put it in the laundry and when it came out, I found that this happened:
A nice large tear in the front neckline. I was sort of pissed because it had torn, so I chucked it in a corner and scowled at it at times. Well today I finally decided I should just fix it. I did take some full photo’s before I fixed it and once it was done, I didn’t feel like taking any more pictures. Just imagine that the top of the dress is finished like this:
Here is the full view, back and front. As you can see I made some ties to reference back to the skirt. I also faux piped the back, I quite like it.
Here are the insides, I fully lined it in some white bed sheet and blue spotted poly something. For some reason the lining seemed to peek below the dress, but I found that some ironing helped a lot.
I made in seam pockets that were not in the pattern or the first version of this dress (here). I also removed the pleats from the pattern, also because I had limited fabric. Those pockets almost disappear, but they are really handy for putting stuff in.
Lastly, look at the neatness of the basque point and top of the zipper! I’m really proud of those.
So there was a bit of a delay in this dress. I hope it survives the next washing and if not, it will end up in the trash, because I’m fed up with fiddling with it. I also finished two other projects today. You’ll see those soon. I hope you are enjoying the summer too!