I’ve been experimenting with refashioning clothing I don’t wear because of ‘issues’ I have with them. There was this skirt:
Which was worn by my mother in the picture, as a costume. She’s just a bit taller, and has the elastic higher than I would have it. So when I was wearing the skirt, it would be over the knee really. The style, for me, didn’t look right when it was over the knee. So what I did was take of the elasticated waistband completely. Then I removed the elastic from its fabric wrapper. The fabric was 2 meters long, which I thought was a bit too long to stick in a waistband, so with 20 pleats I made the fabric 1 meter long.
The skirt is reversible with a red and a black fabric, so I did the same for the other bit of fabric. Sewed them together at the top and put the elastic in and sewed beneath that. The skirt is now still reversible, but has also lost about 10 cm in length. It looks more up to date now and I think it’s easier to wear when it warms up a little again. This is the final result, sorry for the crappy pictures. It’s been terrible weather on this bit of the planet.